Friday, March 21, 2008

Design Awards 2008 to Dagsavisen.no

It delights me to see that the Norwegian design awards were given to Dagsavisen, my favorite Norwegian internet news site.

Dagsavisen got the award for "pure, delicate internet sites in contrast to the competitors' more gaudy websites." The committee further went on to say that "serious approach, good editorial leadership, and focus [...] heightens the level of the open exchange of opinion. In addition to that, it is relieving that the number of ads on the front page is reduced. This is an internet newspaper establishing itself in a league of its own on the Norwegian market." I agree. It really is in a league of it's own, not only when it comes to design, but more importantly with regards to serious journalism.

Leaping over to another topic - when I looked at the picture on the article on Dagsavisen, I noticed something that has been pointed out to me several times since I moved abroad - we dress like shit.. Even when we go to receive an award like this, we dress up in t-shirts, sneakers and jeans. Never mind we go up on stage, in front of hundreds of people and cameras broadcasting us to potentially millions, we still dress like..this. There is a certain charm to that, I think - unassuming and unpretentious. Still, it is kind of peculiar. .

No comments: