Sunday, March 9, 2008

Back to where it all started - New year's resolutions revisited..

Consistency? Never mind that..

In January, I decided to expand the scope of my blog, as compared to what was the original idea. On further reflection, I do not think that was a good idea.

According to some business theorists, it is essential for any company to have a clear core product. When you start your business, you need to define exactly what your business does or should do. Only with a clear understanding of your business' purpose, and of what it does, it is possible to be really successful.

Take McDonald's. Their core product is hamburger meals served very quickly. That is what people expect when they go to McDonald's. And that is what McDonald's should do well. It is all nice and good with healthier food, sundaes and salads, coffee and cupcakes, etc., but the main reason most people come to McDonald's is the quick burgers. If McDonald's should cease to serve the quick burger meals, it would stop delivering it's core product, and people would stop coming there. (Actually, as a digression, this has happened. I went to McDonald's the other day to get a hamburger meal. But since it was early in the morning, they only served toasts - it was "breakfast time". I was disappointed. They did not serve their core product. I will not go to McDonald's in the morning again.)

According to the same principle, I think I need to have my "core product" a little more clearly defined with this blog. And that "core product" is once again random thoughts on topics related to Norway or Norwegians. It is a wide subject, but nevertheless a subject, and a quite clearly defined one.

So, from now on; Random Thoughts On Norway. For my random ravings on other topics, I have created a new blog, titled "Nomadic mind".

No comments: