Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Zoon politicon and new revolutionary inventions

This blog of mine seems to have turned out to become a lot more politically oriented than I envisioned when I first created it. That is fine, though. Maybe I am more of a zoon politicon, or political human being, than I thought.

This time, though, I am going to write about something completely non-political. Today, I read about a "new" "invention" in one Norwegian newspaper, Dagsavisen. This new thing is a toilet whose users will not even have to wipe themselves. Instead you will be getting an automatic wash down there when you`re done. I really didn`t think that this was such a new invention, but maybe it is. And maybe it`s good for the trees as well - we don`t have to cut down as many to wipe our asses. Nevertheless, supposedly it is much better and much more sanitary than what we have now.

This article really reminded me of a banner I saw in Indonesia when I was studying there in 2000. This banner was a commercial for a brand new invention down there, and this invention was even, obviously, seen to be even more revolutionary than the recent one here. It was nothing less than the "toilet for the new millenium", and I even think there was a couple of exclamation marks after that. Still, I had to laugh a little at the time, because this toilet for the new millenium was just a regular WC. A white ceramic toilet which flushes when you push the button on top.

I guess things can always be put in some kind of perspective..

No comments: