Friday, March 5, 2010

The most sexy Norwegian dialect

So, it is finally officially confirmed, what all us northerners already knew. In a survey made by InFact, the dialect (or should I say dialects) of northern Norway has come out top as being the most attractive dialect in Norway.

I may be partly to this, but I must say that I agree with this conclusion. The dialects of Northern Norway has some sexy associations and connotations to it in many respects; it is something fresh and honest about it. Interestingly enough, the dialect that come out second in the survey was the far-south dialect; on the other extreme of our country.

As I also brushed upon in my previous post, Horsecocks and sissies, the sense of identity is pretty strong up north. The conclusions from the survey is that the self-perception of northerners is no longer connected to loud swearing and vulgar jokes (which of course is an improvement).

Check out Finnmarken for a (Norwegian) article on this.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i seriously love all your posting style, very useful.
don't quit as well as keep penning considering the fact that it just well worth to follow it.
looking forward to look at even more of your articles, stunning day ;)

Quenut said...

Thank you very much for your kind remarks, it is very encouraging to hear :)

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me very much in my college assignment. Hats off to you dispatch, will look audacious for more related articles in a jiffy as its anecdote of my pet subject-matter to read.

RennyBA's Terella said...

I do agree; the most sexy dialect with flavour and extravagance ;-)

baresytapas said...

I entered this site by chance, but I found very interesting. A greeting to all the people who visit this page.

Anonymous said...

Extraordinary article! We are now getting started in SMO and now we're wanting to catch on to how to best use social networking for our business.

Keep up the good work!

Yogi said...

Interesting. Hey is it actually true, that in Scandinavian countries (for example american movies)movies or shows are not translated into Norwegian? (because I told my little siters: "we watch it Spongeboob in English now, Norwegian children have to as well, and they learn the language faster this way..")

Quenut said...

Hi Yogi,

thanks for commenting.

It's not entirely true that nothing is translated into Norwegian. Most children's-shows and cartoons are dubbed into Norwegian, at least on the Norwegian TV channels. If you watch TV channels like Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon etc. children's shows are not dubbed. My kids (aged 2 and 4) watch those cartoons undubbed all the time, and I think they learn from it :) They love English, by the way :)

Movies for adults are never dubbed, which is really good. It exposes us for other languages and helps us learn.. Something I've noticed sometimes lately, though (which I like), is that the state owned TV channel NRK airs English or German tv programs even without subtitles.

If you stop by my blog in a week or so, I will have another post about language "problems" in Norway. My working title for the post is "The Catch-22 of a Small Language" :)