Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Being an expat with a student loan

Norway is a rich country. We got it good. Compared to people from many other countries, most Norwegians are fairly well off. Some would even say loaded. We have a high living standard and the wages we earn must be among the highest in the world. Naturally, those high wages also drive the prices up, causing the costs of living to be among the highest in the world as well.

When I decided to leave my cozy, protected life in Norway just over a year ago, I guess I did it at least partly because I wanted to experience something different. One thing is for sure - I did not do it because I thought I was going to earn more money than I did. Having ventured into the ruthless world of cut-throat capitalism without any obviously marketable skills, I now feel the effects of that particular choice.

Every three months, I get a nasty message in my online banking site inbox; "Your quarterly payment is now due." An ugly lump of hard-earned money must leave my rapidly diminishing bank account. That really hurts. Living in Norway, I didn't really notice those payments to the degree I now do, as my salary was almost double my current one. And also, living up north, I had a sizable write-off that the Government gives as an incentive for people to settle up there. So the proportion of my salary I now pay is several times higher. Not good.

I guess we are very lucky in the sense that everyone in Norway has got the opportunity to get an education, no matter the economic situation of our parents. But considering the size of the student loan that we have to amass to get that education, in a sense it kind of limits our choices when it comes to work later on. We have to find a reasonably well paid job to be able to pay off the student loan.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, yes! I do identify with you on this one totally!
Jonny accumulated a huge student debt long before we even met. How do you think I feel about the way it affects our combined income presently.:-)

The past year in SA was really hard, we were in the same situation as you are in right now..paying a Norwegian debt on a foreign income. One of the many reasons we trudged back here I assure you.

November is right around the corner and the August repayment was just made. Dammit!


Sevika

Quenut said...

It truly is brutal when you're living on a - compared to Norwegian standards - low salary. Even though I'm earning a bit more now than what I did in the Czech Republic, it's still tough. And I tell you - I am not looking forward to that November repayment :(

By the way, Sevika, would you mind to give me your email address?

The housewife said...

I asked for a '10 aars plan' last year - which I calculated according to what I felt we could afford (based on my individual salary). It was granted without any problems and we feel much more comfortable now.

Granted I am earning £ now but when I lived in SA and 'shit hit the fan' - they were very accommodating and deducted interest when I showed proof of difficult times. They gave me payment relief when I was struggling etc.

I found Laanekassen to be quite negotiable with regard to salary and payment issues. Maybe it would be worth getting hold of a saksbehandler?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Caroline!
I have been aware that we can apply for 'rentefritak' at least for some while.

Too late now though, we are back in Norway and poor Jonny is wondering what to blog about.

It seems his muse (South Africa) is sorely missed!:-(

Kenneth: My email add is sevika.stensby@lionbridge.com
I presume I will get yours when you send me an email sometime. Look forward to hearing from you and keep on posting..everything you write is very relevant to me! :-)

Cheers!

The housewife said...

Hi Sevika,

Ooook - I didn't realize that you were back in Norway.

Hope the move went smoothly and that you guys don't miss Norway too much

ok-hijack - moving on...

Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline,

On the subject of whether the move went smoothly...well on the Norwegian side...yes...but on the SA side, well let me put it this way...Jonny probably has many entertaining stories to tell you!

Right now we are ensconced in Bergen, and battling the system to get Troy a spot at the closest barnehage. Not easy! Haha, every place in this world has its very own pitfalls.

Hope you are doing well in England!

Regards,
Sevika

Quenut said...

I've heard that LĂ„nekassen is quite helpful, and that it's generally no problem to delay the payments a bit if you're going through tough times.

But I do not want the interest to build up too much. It's maybe more a matter of just tightening the belt a little bit. Anyway, I think better times are ahead, so I think I'll just try to muddle thru. But thank you very much for the tips, Caroline :)

The housewife said...

Hiya Sevika

I lived in Bergen for 2 years - loved it! Kristoffer was at 'Minken barnehage' in Fyllingsdalen.

I meant I hope that you are not missing SA too much - sorry I was in a rush when I wrote that.

Sevika - we should stay in touch, maybe we can get together and have a chinwag one day. My best friend lives in Bergen so we will def be visiting some time. I don't want to use Jonny's email coz you might think I'm chasing your hubby.

Anyway - yeah you'r right about the charges building up. I guess it's not really worth it in the long run!

Cia