Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The wonderful cheese slicer..

I don't think there is a single Norwegian kitchen where you cannot find a cheese slicer. It's such an integral part of our Norwegian food-culture, that we sometimes cannot understand how people can live without one, let alone live without missing one.

Whenever I have lived outside of Norway, I have had great trouble finding a cheese slicer, which at first came as a great surprise. How is it possible that this great piece of kitchen equipment is so hard to find? It is possible, but you have to search really hard and long. I remember that I did manage to locate one in Germany once. I haven't been able yet to find one in Liverpool, but I have great hope that I might find it at IKEA. The Swedes are also aware of the existence of the wonderful cheese slicer.

The cheese slicer is in fact a Norwegian invention, and of quite recent date. It was invented in 1925 by a carpenter by the name of Thor Bjørklund from Lillehammer. Since then it has become a much-used utensil in every Norwegian kitchen, but surprisingly not achieved much recognition abroad. With all due modesty - it is a great invention.

The virtues of the cheese slicer are many, but the most important ones are that it cuts the slices to perfect thickness, and it's ability to bring out the flavour and aroma of the cheese. You can of course get cheese pre-cut into slices from the shop, but that does not compare at all to the taste and flavour you get when it is freshly sliced. The cheese slicer works best with a slightly hard cheese, like a good and nice gouda. Obviously it doesn't work at all with soft cheeses like camembert or brie.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its hard to know how others could live without it - a must on the breakfast table of course and how else could you have goat cheese on your lunch bag - but then again I'm a Norwegian too :lol:

Quenut said...

We might need to get the world used to brown cheese first. Maybe then they will see the light ;D

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent blog. I, an American, have always been a big fan of the cheese slicer. For years I have used them and bought them as gifts. It is an essential piece of kitchen gear! I'm looking at your historical lesson as fate, for I am moving to Norway to study this fall. Thank you!-LMK

Quenut said...

That really warms my heart to hear, LMK - thank you so much!

I wish you all the best moving to Norway. Let me hear how it`s going :)

Michele said...

Hi Kenneth. I'm an American who moved to southern Norway two years ago and I am greatly appreciating your blog! Every time I read it, I learn something new, interesting, and valuable about the country I now live in and (most important) the people I live with. Thank you!

P.S. I adore brown cheese. Brown cheese on brown toast with jordbær syltetøy. Breakfast isn't breakfast without it. Unless breakfast is waffles... :-)

Quenut said...

Hi Michele! Thanks for stopping by, and it's very nice to hear that you enjoy my blog.

Speaking of brown cheese, some friends who went to Norway recently just brought me a big one - yummy! But alas, no cheese slicer yet to cut it with :)

Enjoy the Norwegian summer, I hear it's quite warm right now..

PS: I hope you don't mind that I added your blog to my links..

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read the post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?

Quenut said...

Thank you very much for your compliment. My email address is kennethnygaard@hotmail.com if you want to get in touch

Cheese Cutter said...

Anyone who has never used a cheese board cutter really needs get one. I recommend a marble board so it keeps the cheese cooler for longer. It makes perfect slices which goes great with any food.

Quenut said...

Good tip, cheese cutter.